I am not nearly as stressed in December as I used to be (some things do get better as I get older!) and that may be the case for you, too.
Still, I thought it would be good to remind myself and you of some of the best ways to keep stress from overtaking us in the next few weeks.
1) Pick your priorities. You don’t have to do it all. Pick the activities that bring you the most joy and make time for them. Let go of some (or all!) of the rest of the stuff.
2) Get enough sleep. Adequate sleep is more important that baking one more batch of cookies or attending one more party. Sleep is vital for your health and well-being.
3) Exercise. We all know it’s good for our health, our mood, and stress reduction. Exercise is important every day of the year. This month is no exception! Make time to move!
4) Accept your feelings. If you’re feeling sadness, grief, or loneliness, it’s okay. Don’t make it harder on yourself by judging how you feel.
5) Manage your expectations. The holidays don’t have to be perfect or just like they used to be. As families change and grow, traditions and rituals often must change too. What new traditions or experiences can you create for yourself and those you love?
6) Breathe. Pause throughout the day and take 60 seconds to breathe fully, consciously, and deeply.
What do you do to reduce your stress? Tell us in Comments below.